COGNITIVE FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY EVALUATION
DISABILITY, FUNCTIONAL AND COGNITIVE TESTING SERVICES
DO YOUR CLIENTS HAVE FUNCTIONAL DEFICITS DUE TO COGNITIVE LIMITATIONS?
Health conditions that are good referral indicators for a COG FCE include Post-Concussive Syndrome, Mild/Major Neurocognitive Disorder, Drug/Alcohol Abuse, Parkinson’s, MS, TBI, Covid Long- Haulers and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. MEASURAbilitites is now providing COG FCE’s to help better determine functionality. Learn more about our testing services today!
COG FCE PROVIDES EVIDENCE THAT IDENTIFIES COGNITIVE DEFICITS ON FUNCTION
While not necessarily meant as a replacement to a neuropsychological evaluation, the inherent limitations of neuropsychological testing as a means of assessing executive functioning skills are well known. Executive functioning skills are the most difficult to assess. The impairment of executive skills is most easily seen during real-life functioning and does not necessarily translate from standardized test results.
Standardized test results can be supplemented with collateral evidence as to how an individual performs during work activities. activities of daily living and recreational activities. To learn more, please refer to the Questions and Answers below!
WHAT IS A COG FCE (COGNITIVE FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY EVALUATION)?
- It is an FCE with additional evaluation and consideration of factors that result following an acquired brain injury, neurological or medical conditions, or secondary to other factors (i.e., mental health).
WHAT TYPE OF HEALTH CONDITIONS WOULD BE CONSIDERED GOOD REFERRAL INDICATORS FOR A COG FCE?
- Post-Concussive Syndrome; Mild Neurocognitive Disorder; Major Neurocognitive Disorder; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis; Fibromyalgia; COVID Long-Haulers; Traumatic Brain Injury; Drug/Alcohol Abuse; Parkinson’s; Multiple Sclerosis; Dementias; Post-Chemotherapy; Unexplained/Misunderstood/Poorly Diagnosed R/O Virus-Related Fatigue Syndromes; Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS).
IN GENERAL, WHAT IS THE APPROACH OF A COG FCE?
- The COG FCE includes formal, standard FCE measures (i.e., strength, mobility, limb coordination, postural tolerances, etc.) in addition to standardized assessment of cognitive functioning (component and performance based tests), non-standardized assessment, and structured observations of physical, cognitive, behavioral, and psychosocial functioning.
- Data on the cognitive demands of employment (job match) will be compiled and utilized to provide a baseline for comparison to the results of the COG FCE.
WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION CAN I EXPECT FROM A COG FCE?
- An integration of case relevant information and FCE results that leads to an opinion on functional cognitive status (ability to work).
- Focus on ecological validity, a measure of how test performance predicts behaviors in a real-world setting.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON AREAS TARGETED DURING A COG FCE?
- AWARENESS & ATTENTION (DISTRACTIBILITY)
- MEMORY PROCESSING
- ACTIVITY TOLERANCE & FATIGUE
- EXECUTIVE FUNCTION SKILLS
- Ability to initiate
- Ability to use working memory
- Ability to plan and organize
- Ability to task monitor
- Ability to organize
- EMOTIONAL, BEHAVIORAL & SELF-CONTROL
- The ability to inhibit a response
- The ability to shift between tasks
- The ability to exercise emotional control
- The ability to self-monitor emotions and behaviors
WHEN CAN I SCHEDULE A COG FCE FOR MY CLIENT?
- Call Sandy direct on his cell phone at 480-285-6212 so we can discuss timing and budget estimate.
- In general, the COG FCE can be ordered as a screening (1-day protocol), or as a comprehensive assessment (2-day protocol).
SANDY GOLDSTEIN, PT, CDMS
I have been performing Comprehensive Functional Capacity Evaluations (FCE) since 1997 and have been trained and certified in three different systems. Since 1997, my practice has included services for large employers, vocational rehabilitation, workers’ compensation (state and federal), Social Security disability, long term disability, and personal injury. I have always been frustrated (as many of you have also been) about the inability of the FCE (and the neuropsychological evaluation) to measure functional deficits as they relate to cognition. Therefore, I am excited to announce the expansion of my practice. In 2021, I decided to take advanced training in the provision of Cognitive Functional Capacity Evaluations (COG FCE).
OUR PROMISE; WE WILL PROVIDE, EVERY TIME!
– Exceptional customer service and attention to detail; no compromise and no excuses.
– Specialists in the field; our expertise becomes your asset.
– An unforgettable Human Experience; we care and enhance the quality of lives around us and it shows.